Those who invented citizenship by real estate investment know that purchasing legitimate is one of the surest ways to secure your future and that of your unborn child. In this guide, we’ll discuss about 13 requirements to get Andorra citizenship by investment.
Table of Contents
Despite its closeness to some EU member countries, Andorra is not a member of the European Union, but it enjoys a special relationship with EU. It enjoys some privileges accorded EU member states.
- Official name: Principality of Andorra
- Capital city: Andorra La Vella
- Location: Southwestern part of Europe.
- Population: 77,436 (United Nation estimates)
- Topography: Surrounded by beautiful mountains between Spain and France
- System of government: Unitary Parliamentary representative democracy with a unicameral legislature
- Head of government: Chief Executive
- Official currency: Euro (EUR)
- Land Area: 467.63 sq. Km, making one of the smallest countries in the world
- Official language: Catalan (Others are French and Spanish)
- Unemployment rate: 2 percent as of 2019, according to World Bank data, making it one of the world’s lowest unemployment rates.
The economy of Andorra depends largely on revenue from tourism which according to data accounts for 80 percent, in fact stats shows that 10.2 million tourists visit per year.
This means the country welcomes an estimate of 850,000 tourists per month which translates to an estimate of 212,500 tourists per week, meaning the number of tourists in Andorra per week is more than the official citizens of the country.
Its booming tourist attraction is inspired by its duty-free status and by its summer and winter resorts.
Its banking sector which has tax haven status is another boom to its economy, meaning investors are protected by its tax policies.
Is Andorra a Good Country For Real Estate Investment?
It is one of the safest countries in the world, with a population of less than 85,000 people, the country is modern, livable, and the people of Andorra are lovely, friendly, and always willing to welcome foreign investors.
The quality of life in Andorra isn’t only high, it’s is also one of the countries with low-tax jurisdiction, not just that, it’s democratically stable with its Unitary Parliamentary System of government.
Short-let is booming special aspect of real estate investment in Andorra considering the number of tourists that visit the country per week. As such, a tasteful, exquisite, and exotic hotel is always in high demand in the beautiful country which population is less than a less local government in Nigeria.
Using key indicators like government policies, security, taxation, protection, amenities, and Return on Investment (ROI), Andorra is a great country for real estate investment.
Apart from the favourable environment and policies that make your investment grows, there are other benefits that come with Andorra citizenship, they are:
Real Estate Investor enjoys Visa Free Travel, which gives you access to 155 countries visa free.
The good thing about Andorra citizenship by real estate investment is that it doesn’t discriminate against nationality. Irrespective of where you come from, origin or nationality, you’re welcome to invest in, provided you’ve been certified by police from your country that you’re not a criminal.
You must have lived in Andorra for not less than 240 months or 20 years to get Andorra citizenship via real estate investment. This is too long!
Andorra may not be an option for someone who wants to invest because of citizenship, if you’re simply investing for good returns, than it should be on top of your list.
How Andorra Citizenship By Investment Works
There are five ways to obtain the citizenship of Andorra through the investment channel, they are:
- Real estate or property
- Fixed bank deposit
- Active business investment
- Bank deposit
You have to make any of the above investments to the residency application submission, if not, you must sign an undertaking to invest within six months of residence if you don’t want the authority to cancel your your residence permit.
For the purpose of this discussion, we’ll be focusing on the property aspect of it, though it also has the same requirements as the real estate.
Gateway to acquire it
1) The Visa type or programme is called, “Residence Without Gainful Activity” in case you want to apply.
2) To become Andorra citizen by real estate investment, you can include your family members provided you meet the financial obligation involved.
3) The minimum qualifying real estate investment must be €400,000 whether you are applying as an individual or as a family (family must not be more than four members)
4) You can also own a land in Andorra through your investment, thereby making it easy for you to expand your real estate investment portfolio
5) It isn’t a must to have language skills of the country, but you must visit the country
6) However, physical residence is required to get Andorra citizenship through its, “Residence without gainful activity.”
7) No interview is required with government officials to get citizenship
8) To be eligible, you must have a minimum annual income which must be at least €35,692.20
With all these said and met, let’s take a look at the documents you must get ready to begin your real estate investment in Andorra
13 Required Documentation
- Original and photocopy of your passport
- Original Police Clearance Certificate regarding criminal records
- One passport-size photo
- Proof of ownership or rental housing
- Original or Certified copy of Marriage Certificate (for married couple or family of family)
- Commitment to establish actual residence in Andorra for a minimum of 90 days per calendar year
- Evidence of Health Insurance
- Medical Certificate
- Proof of income
- COVID-19 Vaccination card
- Original or Certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Bank Statement
- Original Bank Reference Letter (Not older than 6 month)
Property Tax Law
It’s very important to understand the tax law of a country before diving to invest in such country and to know the best investment that meets your need.
The standard Value Added Tax (VAT) rate is 4.5 percent, some goods and services enjoy reduced tax rates of 2.5 percent, 1percent and tax-free. There is a property tax at an average of €100 per property yearly.
Transfer of immovable properties between individuals is subject to a transfer tax between 1.5 percent and 2.5 percent of the purchase price. You’ll be taxed if you bought a completed apartment.
Real estate investment is one of the long-term investment and easiest channels to get Andorra citizenship, which also gives you visa free status to 150 countries around the world. For a Nigerian who considering to extend their investment portfolio beyond borders, investment in real estate in Andorra is a great place.
You can gain citizenship by buying property in Andorra if you met the criteria listed above
Featured Image Credit:
- Photo by Elisabeth Agustín on Unsplash